Burger night?! Skip the hamburgers and do a lamb burger instead! Flavoured with oregano, garlic and mint, punched up with spinach and salted with feta, our Burger el Greco will wow the neighbours!
- 1 pound of ground lamb
- 1/2 large onion, minced fine
- 1 large clove garlic, minced fine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed & drained
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 red or yellow sweet peppers, cut flat into four pieces
- 1/2 cup tzatziki, Greek yogurt dip
- 2 – 3 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
- In a large bowl start with ground lamb, season meat with oregano, pepper, and mint. Mix lightly. Add minced onions and garlic to seasoned meat. Add egg, spinach, breadcrumbs, and feta. Mix well, by hand or with a spoon, until all ingredients are well blended.
- Form by hand into 4 – 6 meat patties, place on a tray or plate, and chill for a minimum of ten minutes in the refrigerator. This helps the meat to firm and makes the patties easier to grill (or fry).
- Brush patties with olive oil, place on hot grill over medium-high heat to sear on both sides (about 3 minutes on each side), then reduce temperature to medium (approximately 300°f 150°C) to finish cooking to desired doneness.
- Grill pepper pieces with olive oil until just cooked. Toast buns over the grill with a brush of olive oil on the inside. Remove from heat to rest.
- Assemble your Greco Burger: start with the lower half of the bun, add a layer of tzatziki, then the lamb patty, top with grilled pepper, a layer of tzatziki, finish with the top of the bun and serve. Personally, I like to leave lamb burgers just a touch pink in the center.
For fun and colour, try some exotic vegetable chips; sweet potato, parsnip, batata, taro and yucca chips (some coloured with beet juice) flavoured with olive oil, lemon and garlic. They’re a new summer favourite, great dipped in extra tzatziki (or hummus).
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Burgers
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: Greco Burger, Greek Burger