Bringing out the natural sweetness of the peach with some good corn whiskey, a drizzle of honey and a crisp, candy-like topping for a whopper of a delicious dessert – Bourbon Peach Praline Crisp.
- 8 ripe peaches (about 4 pounds)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 – 3 tablespoons cornstarch (more bourbon = more cornstarch)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup butter, partially melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream (35% MF)
- 1 cup pecans, lightly roasted, loosely chopped
- 3/4 cup quick oats (or other grain flakes)
- 1/4 cup spelt flour (or All Purpose)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- finish with coarse sugar & salt
- Blanche peaches dunking them into a boiling water bath for 1 – 2 minutes then directly into ice water, so that you can quickly an effectively peel the skin. (Score each peach with an ‘X’ on the bottom with a sharp paring knife before the hot water bath, this makes them easier to peel.) Then pit and slice.
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl marinade sliced peaches in bourbon for minimum of one hour (preferably overnight in the refrigerator). Then, using a spatula and a soft hand, toss peaches with liquid/warm honey and cornstarch to coat. Spray 8′ baking dish (or cast iron pan) well with non-stick spray. Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- While oven heats prepare praline top; roast pecans lightly in the oven then cool before adding to a medium sized mixing bowl. With a wooden spoon cream together partially melted butter, brown sugar and cream until smooth. Add toasted pecans, oats, spelt flour and nutmeg and mix by hand, until combined.
- Add peach base to prepared baking dish. Spread praline crisp top evenly over peaches, patting lightly with spatula or fingertips to create a loose top. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30 – 45 minutes or until amber peach juice bubbles up the sides and gently trough the crisp topping.
Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream, and a dash of bourbon. Boo-ya that is good!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: Peach Crisp