Try this crispy-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside Yucatan Carnitas recipe on your next taco night. Slowcooker or cocotte friendly, the trick is the reverse sear that gives them their signature crispiness. I heart TACOS!
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 2 inch, square chunks
- 1 onion, cut julienne
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeño, seeded, diced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 limes, juice only
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325⁰F (162⁰C).
- Combine dry spice mix in a small bowl. In your cocotte or dutch oven, toss spice blend with pork cubes to coat evenly. Add juices, onions, and jalapeno peppers and gently stir to combine. Cover with tightfitting lid and place in pre-heated 325⁰F (162⁰C) oven for about 2 hours, checking liquid levels at the one-hour mark to be sure enough moisture and fat remains.
- Remove lid and increase oven temperature to 375⁰F (190⁰C). Toss pork chunks in remaining juices to coat. Return to oven to begin crisping. As the liquid evaporates, toss pork to continue to evenly coat in what remains, about every 10 minutes or so for a total of about 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from heat and rest for about ten to fifteen minutes. Pull apart pork chunks with two forks to create, long stringy pieces. Toss pork in remaining juices. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve in any manner you choose; on a bed of rice with refried beans, in a fajita, burrito, or my favorite… Crispy Ycantan Carnita Tacos.
- Combine dry spice mix in a small bowl. In your slow-cooker, toss spice blend with pork cubes to coat evenly. Add juices, onions, and jalapeno peppers and gently stir to combine. Cover with lid and cook for 6 to 8 hours on medium setting.
- Preheat oven to 325⁰F (162⁰C). Remove pork from liquid and spread evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spoon a generous amount of reserved juices over pork to coat well, then place in 375⁰F (190⁰C) to begin crisping.
- Check every 10 minutes or so, adding liquid and tossing pork bits, for a total of about 30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from heat and rest for about ten to fifteen minutes. Pull apart pork chunks with two forks to create long, stringy pieces. Toss pork with about a 1/2 cup remaining juices if it looks dry. Adjust seasoning if needed. See serving notes. THINK TACOS!
- Category: Mains
- Method: Stewing
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: Carnitas Recipe, Crispy Carnitas, Yucatan Carnitas