This “Never Fail Lemon Ricotta Cake” won’t fail you the way other recipes failed me! This classic Italian Cake is moist and rich and packed with ripe and fresh flavour for spring and summer. It’s a huge hit in our house!
Lemon Ricotta Cake:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened plus 1 tablespoon for pan
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta cheese, drained
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lemon, zest, and juice
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 – 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, divided
- 2 cups strawberries, raspberries & blackberries, combined
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Lemon Ricotta Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F (175C⁰). Prepare a 9-inch springform pan by coating the inside with about 1 tablespoon softened butter, and a coating of icing sugar. To be on the safe side, you can line the bottom with parchment paper for ease of removal. Reserve until needed.
- In a separate bowl, add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder & salt then whisk to combine and set aside.
- On stand mixer with paddle attachment cream your butter until smooth. Then add sugar and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one by one then add vanilla. The mix should be slightly lumpy. Remove bowl from mixer.
- Add half of your flour mixture and half the ricotta. Gently fold by hand until half COMBINED.
- Add second half flour mixture, last of ricotta. Gently fold by hand until JUST COMBINED. Don’t beat it. Do not whip it. Just gently fold, and scrape, folding in any remaining dry bits. Transfer into waiting prepared pan and bake for 45 – 55 minutes in a preheated 350⁰F (175C⁰) oven.
- The cake is done when it is set in the center. It should not jiggle in the pan if shaken. Your Lemon Ricotta Cake should be firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center should remove clean – except for a few crumbs. Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before running a thin blade around the outside of the pan to loosen edges and unmolding.
- Finish with icing sugar and serve with macerated berries, fruit preserves, whipped cream, a dollop of pastry cream, or ALL OF THE ABOVE!
- Slice strawberries in quarters. Slice blackberries in half. Use raspberries whole. Add berries to medium-sized bowl and sprinkle with sugar. Lightly toss to coat. Rest at room temperature for about an hour to allow natural juices to mix with melted sugar. Spoon liberally over cake so that the juices run down the sides, and, ENJOY.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Lemon Ricotta Cake, Lemon Cake, Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake