Tweaked over several sessions of Indian cooking, to finding the right balance, Mango Curry Chicken is a mild curry, bright in colour and texture, with a complex spice balance that whips up in no time.
1 kg (3pounds) chicken (skinless, on the bone, cut into small pieces)
2 onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced (or paste)
1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced (or paste)
2 tablespoons oil
3–4 whole cloves
1/2 inch cinnamon stick
2 whole green cardamom seeds
2 – 4 Green chilies, chopped (spice to taste)
2 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon red chili powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 mango (peeled and chopped)
2 – 3 sweet (yellow/red) peppers, sliced
2 cups okra, cut into 2 inch pieces, steamed separately
3–4 curry leaves
1 tablespoon kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in non stick cooking pan and crackle the cloves, cardamoms and cinnamon. Next, sauté the onions till light brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add all the dry spice powders, chicken and mango. Stir and cook on high for 3-4 minutes.
- Add peppers and stir to coat.
- Add 1-2 cups water (to cover ingredients), salt, curry leaves and kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and stir.
- Transfer to oven-safe pot, cover, reduce heat and cook (about 40 minutes), or place, covered in preheated 350* oven and cook (about 30 – 40 minutes) and cook until chicken becomes soft and tender.
- Five minutes prior to the end of cooking time place cut okra in microwave safe bowl with very little water, cover and lightly steam, 2 – 3 minutes. Then drain any liquid and reserve (Little fluid prevents the okra from becoming slimy and maintains its colour)
- Remove curry from heat, stir in okra, steamed separately, and let stand covered, for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander leaves. Serve hot with roti, naan or rice and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Meals
- Method: Sautee
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Mango Curry Chicken, Mango Chicken Curry