Rich and decadent, for a sexy Valentine’s brunch! Red Velvet Waffles with Cream Cheese Drizzle and sweet, seasonal berries.
Red Velvet Waffels:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
- Red food colouring (liquid or gel)
Cream Cheese Drizle
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons – 1/3 cup whole milk
Red Velvet Waffles:
1. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Reserve.
2. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, buttermilk, butter, vanilla, and vinegar until well-combined. Add red food colouring (go a couple of shades darker to get the colour you want, it will lighten when you add the dry ingredients. Adjust as needed.) Pour the wet mix into dry ingredients and fold gently until combined. Do not over mix. Treat the batter with care.
3. Coat waffle iron with non-stick spray, and begin preheating. Cook waffles according your iron and directions, be sure to grease well between waffles. Some waffel irons have an indicator to let you know when your waffles are done, when in doubt, if they’re no longer steaming, you’re good.
Cream Cheese Drizzle:
- Beat cream cheese and butter for about three minutes, until light and fluffy. Gradually add the vanilla, then gradually add the powdered sugar, alternating with the milk. to desired consistency and sweetness.
Serve with or without berries. Indulge.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Red Velvet Waffles