Warm flavour for cold, wet days. Roasted Pumpkin Apple & Onion on Mixed Kale, part of our Simple Sides series.
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded & cut
- 2 medium onions, cubed
- 2 medium apples (golden delicious preferred), cubed, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for dressing)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or about 1 1/2 teaspoons dry)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (or about 1 1/2 teaspoons dry)
- 1 head kale, deveined, washed & coarsely chopped (or 1 bag of mixed kale)
- 1 large orange
- Sunflower or pumpkin seeds to finish
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine pumpkin, onions & apples. Toss and coat with olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper then spread evenly on a baking sheet sprayed well with non-stick spray. Roast in pre-heated 400°F (220°C) oven for 30 – 45 minutes, turning the roasting mixture halfway to brown more evenly.
- When fully cooked & lightly browned remove pumpkin, apple & onion from the oven and cool slightly. Add kale in a layer on the bottom of your serving bowl, season lightly with salt & pepper. Arrange warm pumpkin, apple & onion mixture on top of kale, drizzle with good quality olive oil, then squeeze your orange, rendering the juice over the entire salad, finish with sunflower or pumpkin seeds and serve immediately.
Change is good. Punch this recipe up with a change of citrus: try tangerine, mandarin, pink grapefruit or blood orange instead.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Modern
Keywords: Roasted Pumpkin Apples Onions