Roasting brings out all the natural sweetness in our Roasted Sweet Potato Pear Soup. A healthy, nutritious fall or winter soup that’s budget-friendly, festive enough for the holidays and popular with the entire family!
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large ripe pears (any variety other than Bosch)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk (good quality, cream in)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cilantro or parsley to finish
1. Preheat oven to 375°f (190°c). Prepare a good-sized sheet pan with parchment. Wash and split sweet potatoes lengthwise. Coat well with olive oil and place, flesh side down, on the prepared sheet pan and roast at 375°f (190°c) for 20 minutes.
2. Nearing the end of the 20-minute mark, peel and split onions then coat with olive oil and place on the same sheet pan as the sweet potatoes. Roast for an additional 30 minutes, or until onions are translucent and tender and sweet potatoes are fully cooked and caramelized on the bottom, then remove from oven to cool.
3. While sweet potatoes and onions are cooling; peel, core, and lightly chop pears. Then peel and mince fresh ginger. Place a decent-sized pot on the stove on medium heat. Once it’s to temperature, add a good slick of olive oil. When the oil starts to shimmer, add the pears and sauté well, until they’re starting to colour, then add ginger, and cook lightly until fragrant. Season to taste.
4. Add stock to pear ginger base, then add coconut cream and stir. Now that your sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop or peel back the skin of the potato and add the cooked pulp to the soup pot. Add roasted onions, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
5. Blend soup, either using a hand blender or by staging into a food processor or blender, until smooth. Be sure to take appropriate safety precautions when working with hot liquids! Taste. Fine-tune seasoning, adjust thickness to your liking and serve immediately.
Roasted Sweet Potato Pear Soup will last in the fridge for up to five days and freezes beautifully.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour + 10 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sweet Potato Pear Soup, Roasted Sweet Potato Pear Soup,