Tangy fresh cheese and ripe dark fruit and a splash of citrus sweetness makes for an amazing taste sensation in these Blackberry Goat Cheese Muffins with Lemon Sugar.
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup blackberries, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute, see notes)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- zest of one lemon
- Lemon Sugar:
- Zest lemon on a fine cheese grater, being sure to remove very little pith with the yellow lemon zest. Combine with coarse sugar in a small bowl then let stand in the fridge until needed.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) and prepare muffin pan with either non-stick spray or parchment baking liners.
- Combine dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and lemon zest in a large-ish mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place cut blackberries in a smaller bowl and measure two or three tablespoons of the flour mix over berries and toss to gently mix and coat, then reserve.
- Break eggs into small bowl and whisk lightly then add to dry ingredients along with buttermilk and melted butter. Fold a couple of times with a spatula or wooden spoon. Then add flour-coated berries, goat cheese and thyme and gently fold until JUST combined. Portion evenly into waiting muffin pan.
- Top with lemon sugar and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 20 – 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean and muffin tops are golden brown.
If you don’t have buttermilk in stock, don’t fret. Just use a milk with a splash of lemon juice or vinegar for make a buttermilk substitute that bakes like the real thing! Search “buttermilk substitute” in the Food Gypsy search feature for ratios and — Happy Baking.
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American