Inspired by the classic English Fry Up, London Pub Hash takes all of our favorite bits of breakfast and tosses it all in one pan with a bit of spud. Add egg and toast and you’ve got the best recipe for a hangover cure I know!
4 medium, boiled potatoes (cold)
5 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 large tomato, pits removed, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 leek or 4 green onions, washed and chopped (optional)
6 strips of bacon, cooked and cut into 1/2 inch strips
1/4 cup aged cheddar, diced
4 English style breakfast sausages
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil, for cooking
a generous pinch of thyme
salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C) Place a good sized frying pan over medium-high heat add a splash of cooking oil and sear sausages on all sides. Place in oven to finish cooking through (about 10 minutes).
- While sausage cook. Place skillet on medium-high heat, when hot add olive oil to coat. Add onions, leek and mushrooms, season and sauté until just cooked, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve. (This can be done ahead, if needed, and held at room temperature for up to an hour.)
- Reduce heat to medium. Add butter to the same hot skillet and when melted, add precooked potatoes, season, add a pinch of thyme and toss. Cook, stirring intermittently, until potatoes are starting to turn golden brown (about 5 minutes). Add onion-leek-mushroom mixture and toss together. Add more oil or butter if needed to keep pan moist and bubbling.
- Add third pan to the stove top, over medium heat add oil or butter and cook your eggs, any style, to desired doneness.
- While eggs cook, add tomatoes, bacon and cheese to hash. Mix together over medium heat, until cheese starts to melt and get stringy and gooey. Remove sausages from oven and allow sausages to rest for a couple of minutes. Turn off oven. Place plates in now cooling oven to warm, just before plating.
There you have it. Hash, London style. The perfect ‘all day breakfast’.
- Category: Breakfast & Brunch
- Method: Sauteé
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: Potato Hash, Breakfast Hash, English Hash