Fresh, fast, light, and super tasty, Healthy Asian Lettuce Wraps are made for summer living. The secret is in the sauce, packed with garlic, ginger, and deep umami flavour, it’s a low-carb meal in under 30 minutes!
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ½ teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms diced
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 carrot, cut thin, short julienne or grated
- ½ sweet pepper, yellow or red, cut thin, short julienne
- 2 – 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 head of romaine lettuce leaves washed and cut to size (see note)
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or Tamari (gluten-free)
- 1 rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 shallot diced
- Sesame seeds
- Asian hot sauce, like Siracha
- Prep your ingredients: mince garlic, ginger & shallot. De-stem and chop mushrooms, drain and chop water chestnuts, cut pepper and carrot into short julienne.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, soy sauce, hoisin sauce & rice vinegar along with your garlic, ginger & shallot. Stir to combine and reserve.
- Prep lettuce leaves, washing and trimming as needed then store cold until needed.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add second tablespoon of sesame. Once oil is hot, add ground pork or chicken.Break up meat into small, easy to eat bits with a wooden spoon or spatula as it cooks. Season lightly with white pepper. Cook until meat is translucent and turn as needed to cook all raw bits.
- Add your vegetables to the meat mixture starting with the shitake mushrooms, water chestnuts then add carrot and sweet pepper. Toss and cook for about two minutes.
- Reduce temperature to medium low and add green onions followed immediately by your sauce. Stir to combine then distribute evenly over pan and let simmer for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring as needed then remove from heat.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a waiting serving dish. Scoop warm wrap filling on to each leaf and place on plate. Finish with sesame seeds, serve with lime wedges and/or hot sauce.
Notes on Lettuce: Use your favorite lettuce, Romaine holds well against the heat, so it works well. You can trim the stem, and use just the deeper, leafy portion, but I kind of like the stem as a convenient ‘handle’. Boston and Leaf Lettuce works very well for warps, with the nice deep pockets in the larger leaves. Makes it easier to hold and munch.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Mains
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Asian Lettuce Wrap,