A warm addition to your holiday table or a simple fall favourite, there’s great simplicity in a three ingredient dish like this Sweet Potato Mash with Brown Butter. All hail the great Butter God!
- 2 – 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Steam-bake your sweet potatoes. You can do this one of two ways; you can take wet sweet potatoes, piece a few holes in the skin with a fork, wrap them in foil, and bake them in a 400°F (205°C) oven for about 35 minutes. That’s the long way.
- Wash and wet your sweet potatoes, poke them with a few holes for the stem to escape, and cook them in a microwave, on high until soft; about 6 minutes per potato. Timing will vary depending on the size and strength of your microwave, as well as the size of the sweet potatoes. We suggest you start with 5 minutes and gauge your timing from there.
- While potatoes steam, put you butter in a medium sized sauce pan and place it over medium heat to melt, about 3 minutes. Once melted, leave pan in place and allow butter to continue to cook and brown, about an additional 5 minutes then remove from heat. Reserve a potion to drizzle on top, if desired. (Note: In the photo above we’ve gone to a golden brown, you can go much darker for deeper butter flavour.)
- Once potatoes are cooked to soft, split them and scoop out the hot, cooked flesh into the butter, add salt and mash lightly, just enough to break it up to a country mash texture and quickly mix it with the remaining brown butter using your fork. Serve, pouring remaining butter on of the hot mash and tuck in.
- A southern favourite with warm, buttery notes; sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A, potassium and dietary fiber. That ought to help offset that butter guilt… if you have any.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American