Light and tasty, this slaw goes easily from the kitchen to the cottage, on a picnic or into the backyard. Tart and tangy with a hint of honey, Sweet & Sour Slaw with Honey Vinaigrette is a fresh summer side even the kids will love.
- 1 cup napa (or green) cabbage, thinly chopped
- 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly cut
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, sliced fine lengthwise
- 1 cup carrots, thinly julienned
- 1 cup red grapes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons onion (white, yellow or red), diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- First mix your vinaigrette: add onion, rice vinegar, honey and 1/3 of the olive oil into a container deep enough to use your immersion blender (I like a deep measuring cup or wide mouthed jar). Blend well, drizzling in the remaining oil slowly until vinaigrette is creamy and emulsified and refrigerate until needed.
- Prepare your slaw mix, cutting vegetables in a long, fine julienne and tossing them into a bowl along with your grapes. Drizzle with honey vinaigrette to taste, season as needed and finish with herbs (like a flat leaf parsley or cilantro) at the last minute before serving.
Gypsy Note: If you’re using red onion your vinaigrette will be a shade of pink. Stick to shallots and white or yellow onions if you want to avoid additional colour.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: North American