A fruit filled summer classic, there are a lot of adjectives that could apply to this Blueberry Buckle recipe. Versatile, simple, moist, sweet… addictive! A coffee-cake-meets-fruit-crisp staple that will never let you down.
- 1 1/2 of flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Prepare a 9 inch springform pan, coating the inside liberally with butter. If you’re concerned about your cake sticking, add a round of parchment to the bottom, over top the butter.
- CAKE: In a large bowl using a mixer on medium setting (or wooden spoon and some elbow grease) cream together 3/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of softened butter until smooth and light; about 3 minutes, then scrape down bowl.
- While you cream the butter and sugar, whisk dry ingredients – flour, baking powder and lemon zest – in a separate bowl to combine.
- Once butter and sugar and light and well whipped; add vanilla, then eggs one at a time while mixing constantly. Scrape down bowl in between to ensure all butter is well mixed.
- Now begin adding flour, about one third at a time, alternating with milk. Scrape down bowl before adding the last of your milk and then mix until you have a smooth, creamy batter; about 4 minutes all together.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared 9 inch springform pan. Top with blueberries, gently pressing the first layer into the batter below.
- TOPPING: In a third bowl combine 3/4 cups flour, 6 tablespoons brown sugar, nutmeg and salted butter, with a wooden spoon or spatula until you have a dry, crumbly topping.Top blueberries, spreading evenly, but allowing some room on the edges for the berry juice to bubble up.
- Bake at Blueberry Buckle at 350°F(Bake at 175°C) for 50 – 60 minutes or until juice from the blueberries begins to bubble in the centre of the cake.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Before removing pan, loosen edges with a paring knife run around the outside, then gently loosen ring and remove cake. Slice and serve, with vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche,or whipped cream. To avoid pieces crumbling under the knife, chill before cutting… if you can wait that long.
If you prefer, you can blend in your blueberries, or layer alternating with batter and berries. If using frozen berries, sprinkel with a tablespoon of flour mix and toss to coat. This will keep them from bleeding and tainting your cake blue.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: Cake
- Cuisine: American