As summer winds down and the harvest rolls in it’s time to cozy up with a big bowl of vegetable goodness that is Cauliflower Smoked Cheddar Soup!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion (1 cup), chopped
- 2 medium carrots (1/2 cup), peeled & chopped
- 3 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 cups water (+ 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream (35% milkfat preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt your butter and add onions, cooking until transparent. Add carrots, cauliflower, garlic, and thyme mix and sweat a minute or two longer then add water & milk to cover vegetables (if needed add a touch more milk).
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes depending on the size of your cuts).
- Remove pot from heat and blend until all ingredients are pureed into a smooth, loose base then return to medium heat. Add cream. Taste and season.
- Bring soup back up to a low boil. Combine cornstarch and about 2 teaspoons of water to a thin paste in a small bowl. Add cornstarch slurry to pot, bit by bit, stirring as you do to prevent lumps and reveal consistency. You may not need all the cornstarch, or you may need more depending on the consistency of soup you desire. Personally, I like this soup nice and thick. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 – 15 minutes to reduce slightly and cook the cornstarch until you have a thick, smooth soup. Note: be sure to stir regularly as the solids have a tendency to sink and burn at this point (much to the chagrin of the dishwasher).
- Remove from heat, add nutmeg, and stir in shredded smoked cheddar cheese to melt and combine. taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve immediately. Finish with more cheese, a dash of herbs, or just as is… naked.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Method: Boiling
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cauliflower Cheddar Soup, Cauliflower Soup