One last kick at the can to with a warm you to the bone on Soup Week; with a plant-pure, sweet-meets-savory Sweet Carrot Coconut Soup.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 large yellow onion (2 cups), chopped
- 10 – 12 large carrots (4 cups), peeled, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 6 – 8 stalks parsley
- 1 – 4 inch piece of leek
- 2 – 3 cups water (+ 1 teaspoon)
- 1 – can (13oz/398 mls) coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add coconut oil and onions, cooking until transparent.
- While onions cook, wrap bay leaf, thyme sprig and parsley stems in leak leaf with some cotton kitchen string to create herb sachet. Add carrots add enough water to float vegetables and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes to infuse flavours and reduce slightly.
- Remove from heat. Remove herb sachet with a slotted spoon and discard. Blend remains with an immersion blender until solids and liquids combine into a loose puree. Add coconut milk and sugar (to taste) blend to combine.
- Return to heat. Bring soup back up to a low boil. Combine cornstarch and 1 teaspoon of water to a paste in a small bowl. Add cornstarch slurry to pot a bit at a time, stirring as you do to prevent lumps. You may not need it all, or you may need more depending on what consistency you like. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 – 20 minutes to reduce slightly and cook the cornstarch until you have a rich, broth style soup. Note: be sure to stir regularly as the solids will sink and burn and being sweet, it can burn easily.
- Taste and season with salt & white pepper and serve.
- Serve immediately. Finishing ideas: raw sunflower or pumpkin seeds, toasted curried nuts, toasted coconut, or a splash of fresh cilantro.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soups
- Cuisine: Modern
Keywords: Carrot Coconut Soup