A deep, dark and delicious Chocolate Orange Chiffon Cake that thrilled the neighbours and crushed a craving.
For the Chocolate Orange Chiffon Cake
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice, heated
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 cups cake or pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- zest of two medium oranges (about a 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Chocolate Ganauche
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces good-quality milk chocolate, chopped
- 5 ounces good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Chocolate Orange Chiffon Cake
- In a small saucepan, heat orange juice to a low simmer. Mix cocoa powder and hot orange juice together in a medium bowl, dissolving cocoa completely. Stir well, and allow to cool to room temperature (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl combine flour, 1 1/4 cups sugar, baking soda, and salt, add orange zest, and toss to mix. Add cocoa orange juice mixture to dry ingredients and mix until just blended. Do not beat.
- In a large bowl beat egg whites together with the cream of tartar to form soft peaks. Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar to egg whites and beat until stiff.
- In a medium bowl add vanilla and oil to egg yolks, lightly beat with a fork or whisk. Add egg mixture to cocoa mixture, blend until just smooth, beating this batter will make it tough, so just mix until blended. Add egg whites to the cocoa batter, one quarter at a time, using a spatula, and fold gently into the whites until everything is blended and bubbly.
- Pour into an ungreased tube pan and bake at 350ºf for 60-70 minutes. (Ungreased! This cake has enough oil that it should not stick, and it needs the ungreased sides so that it can ‘grip’ and rise.)
- In a heavy saucepan heat cream until just bubbling. Make sure you stay with it so it does not scorch or boil over, it only takes a couple of minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in chocolate until completely melted. Add extract.
- Cool slightly until ganache begins to thicken, stirring occasionally. Drizzle immediately.
Optional: Once cooled lightly, coat cake with simple syrup or kumquat syrup (from our candied kumquat recipe), to help the cake retain moisture. Finish with chocolate ganache and decorate to please.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate Orange Chiffon Cake, Orange Chocolate Chiffon Cake, Chocolate Chiffon Cake