A sweet-meets-savoury cornbread that’s a perfect fit for winter holiday breakfast, brunching, or turkey-time snacks. But it’s not JUST for winter, try Cranberry Feta Cornbread, anytime!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar (up to a 1/4 cup for sweet cornbread)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled to room temp
- 1 tablespoons bacon fat (veggie substitute: Peanut Oil)
- Preheat Oven 410⁰F (210⁰C). Preheat 9 inch cast iron pan at the same time.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine. Add cranberries, feta and green onion and fold to coat well with dry mix.
- Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add bacon grease (or plant based oil substitute) to hot pan and return to oven until the fat is (literally) smoking hot.
- Combine dry & wet with wooden spoon or spatula – until JUST MIXED. Add batter to hot, well greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 410⁰F (210⁰C) for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 350⁰F (175⁰C) for an additional 15 – 20 minutes or until cornbread is cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry.
- Serve hot, or remove from pan to cool and serve later. Do not allow to cool in the cast iron pan if serving later. Cast iron retains heat, so leaving it in the pan, it will continue to steam and get tough. No one wants that.
If you’re working with a smaller cast iron skillet (8 or 7 inch), half the recipe and reduce your cooking time by 5 – 10 minutes.
If you’re watching the video, you’ll note I used three eggs. We’re going to chalk that up to human error, and not following my own recipe. The extra egg made the batter too rich, taking extra time too cook. We won’t be making this mistake for you!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Quick Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cranberry Cornbread, Cranberry Feta Cornbread