Mediterranean flavour and freshness in a two-step recipe that’s perfect for the oven or the grill. Big garlic punch and bright lemon flavour inspired by Greek cuisine, Lemon Garlic Chicken makes weeknight cooking a breeze.
- 4 chicken breasts (legs, thighs or a whole chicken parted out)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 1/2 lemons)
- 4 – 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 lemon, sliced for garnish
- In a zippered freezer bag combine olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper for your marinade. Pierce chicken with a fork all over so that the marinade better penetrates the flesh, then add chicken pieces to the bag, remove as much air as possible and zip closed. Smooch chicken and marinade in the bag a bit to be sure all pieces are well coated then refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours – preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Spray your roasting pan with non-stick spray, to coat. Add half your fresh oregano and 2 tablespoons of water to your marinated chicken and smooch everything around again to be sure the herbs are well distributed. Place chicken pieces, skin side up, on the pan and then empty whatever marinade that remains on to the chicken and into the pan. Roast for 30 – 40 minutes at 400°F (205°C) until golden brown, being sure to temp check before serving to ensure internal temperature of the chicken is 165F, or above.
- Serve immediately, with remaining fresh oregano and lemon and a drizzle of pan drippings to finish
Try with Greek pita, hummus, some roasted garlic potatoes or big, fat juicy olives on the side with this Lemon Garlic Chicken. Meals in minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Greek