A rich fudgy chocolate cake topped with chocolate icing, marshmallows, dry roasted peanuts and, yup, you guessed it, more chocolate. Rocky Road Fudge Cake – completely irresistible to children of all ages.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups icing sugar, sifted
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
- 1 square semi-sweet chocolate
- ***Cake*** Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Prep an 8 x 12 pan, either coat with butter or spray well with non-stick spray.
- Combine flour & baking soda in a bowl and reserve. Add butter, coffee & cocoa to a medium sized saucepan over medium heat, and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In your stand mixer bowl add eggs, sugar and vanilla and mix, lightly, until smooth. Now add warm coffee mixture, slowly with mixer on a very low speed until both combine to make a smooth, loose batter. Then add flour, alternately with buttermilk, at the same low speed and mix until JUST incorporated. Transfer batter into waiting 8 x 12 pan and bake at 400°F (205°C) for 45 – 55 minutes or until tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- ***Frosting*** While cake is cooling, make your frosting. Start by adding milk, butter, cocoa and vanilla together in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring constantly, until steaming. Do not boil, do not simmer. Just bring it to scalding.
- Pour cocoa mixture into a bigger bowl and start adding your sifted icing sugar, about a third at a time, and cream together until smooth and firm. (I usually measure first then sift as I go, straight into the bowl as I mix. It’s more efficient that way.)
- Smooth icing on to still warm cake. This way the icing melts into the cake just a little bit. But this is just a firm frosting it won’t completely disintegrate.
- ***Toppings*** Sprinkle the top of your cake with mini marshmallows, add the dry roasted peanuts then pop the cake back into the oven for about 3 – 4 minutes to melt the marshmallows, just a little bit. Chop baking chocolate into smaller chunks and melt in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave, being sure to check and stir every 60 seconds. Cool cake for a couple of minutes then drizzle with chocolate. If you want to get all campfire fancy, grab your cuisine blow torch and give the marshmallows a light char and voila!
Place cake on cooling rack and allow to cool completely before cutting and serving. If you absolutely MUST eat it right away (and who can blame you!) fridge it for a half an hour, or it will crumble and fall apart. Sorry, OK… it’s cake, cake has so many rules! If you don’t care about all that just bypass my excellent advice and eat it immediately. I read somewhere that if cake breaks all the calories leak out. Try it and report back.
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American