Yes, it’s spicy! Lamb Vindaloo is an Indian stew and a favourite in most curry houses. Tangy, spiced lamb marinated and cooked to perfection.
- 3 lbs boneless lamb
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamarind pulp
- Salt – to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 white onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger root, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or ghee
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red (cayenne) pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes (or more)
- 1 cinnamon stick (optional)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup tomatoes, roughly chopped
- Hot water (to cover)
- Cut lamb into 3/4″ cubes. Place lamb in a non-metallic bowl (or zip lock bag) with the oil, vinegar, tamarind and salt. Marinade at room temperature for 8 to 48 hours.
- Add two tablespoons oil, garlic and ginger in a food processor and puree.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil/ghee in large skillet (or oven-safe pot) over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until brown, stirring constantly to avoid burning. Add the garlic ginger puree.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add your spices: cumin, coriander, cloves, bay leaf, turmeric, red pepper, and cinnamon, stirring regularly to avoid burning. When the spices begin to sizzle and turn dark (about 15 seconds), add the lamb ONLY – reserve the marinade.
- Cook lamb until lightly seared (about 10 minutes). Add tomato paste and cook slightly, stirring constantly to avoid burning.
- Add hot water to the marinade to make 2 1/2 cups liquid; add to pan and bring to a rapid boil. Add tomatoes, then lower the heat and simmer, covered – about 45 minutes. Or place, covered in preheated 350⁰F (180⁰C) oven for 30 – 45 minutes, until meat is very tender and aromatics are dissolved into the sauce. Remove from heat. Allow to stand 10 – 15 minutes
For this recipe I used meat from a half leg of lamb. As a dryer (read less fatty) cut, it holds together well in a braised stew like this one. Serve with rice and naan for a great Eurasian meal along with our Mango Curry Chicken Recipe, or alone. We finished with a drizzle of plain yogurt and chives to cut the heat and served with rice and naan.
- Prep Time: 8 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Mains
- Method: Braising
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Lamb Vindaloo, Vindaloo Recipe