Pair this Mushroom Cherry Hazelnut Stuffing recipe with chicken, turkey, duck, goose or guinea fowl for a savory meets sweet, knock-out stuffing for any occasion!
- 5 cups dried white or French bread, cut into rustic cubes
- 1 leek, cut lengthwise then cut in thin 1/2 rounds and well washed
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms (oyster, crimini or white button)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup butter (or olive oil), divided
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 – 1 cup chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- Lightly oil a 9×13-inch baking dish, or coat with non-stick spray. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cut baguette into chunky cubes and toast in the oven until dry, crisp and just beginning to brown. Remove from heat and cool until needed.
- In a large skillet melt about a tablespoon of butter and cook the mushrooms until golden brown, pour off into a waiting bowl and reserve. In the same skillet sweat the leeks & celery lightly with about a tablespoon of butter until transparent, about 5 minutes. Lightly roast hazelnuts in the oven for about 5 minutes and chop coarse.
- Toss dried bread cubes with herbs, and season to taste in a large bowl. Add cherries, hazelnuts and vegetables and drizzle with butter. Add chicken stock as you toss the stuffing mixture, until well moistened, but not mushy. Lightly pack stuffing into prepared baking dish (or bird cavity & neck), and cover tightly with foil or good fitting lid.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350°F (175°C) . Remove foil, fork toss the top of stuffing and toast, uncovered, for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned on top to your liking.
Rest for 3 – 5 minutes then serve immediately. (Try it with our Foie Gras Roasted Chicken recipe.) Live, Love, EAT Well!
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: North American