Gooey and sweet, filled with chocolate-hazelnut flavour, Nutella French Toast warms heart and soul on a cold winter’s morning. So simple, it’s a great recipe to make with the kids!
- 4 slices of bread
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- dash of vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (for cooking)
- 1 cup fruit (berries, peaches), cut
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Powdered sugar for serving (optional)
- Spread a liberal amount of Nutella over 2 slices of bread. Top each with the remaining bread, to make a sandwich and reserve.
- In a bowl, combine egg, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and salt and whisk. Then pour into a shallow pie pan. Dredge each sandwich in the egg mixture, soak for about two minutes per side and reserve.
- While your Nutella French Toast is soaking, prepare your fruit. Either fresh and macerated with a touch of sugar & a squeeze of lemon, served at room temperature or cooked (as shown above). To cook your fruit start with a small pan; combine sugar and water and allow to come to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce by about a third. Melt butter into simple syrup, once melted add cut fruit and lightly cook for about three minutes over medium heat, the reserve warm.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and swirl to coat. Add your egg-soaked sandwich to the pan in a single layer, taking care not to crowd the pan. Cook for 3 – 4 minutes covered over medium to medium-low heat, until light golden brown. Flip and cook the other side in the same manner. Add more butter as needed.
- Transfer to a plate, dust with powdered sugar if desired, and top with fruit. Serve, immediately.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Nutella French Toast