Cast iron skillet cornbread, from scratch. Our Best Southern Cornbread recipe hails from South Carolina. It’s light and moist, you can bend it sweet or savoury by adjusting your sugar level, and it’s always a HUGE HIT!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar (up to a 1/4 cup for sweet cornbread)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, cooled to room temp
- 1 tablespoons bacon fat (veggie substitute: Peanut Oil)
- Preheat Oven 410⁰F (210⁰C). Preheat 9 inch cast iron pan at the same time.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine.
- Add bacon grease (or plant based oil substitute) to hot pan and return to oven until the fat is (literally) smoking hot.
- Mix wet ingredients in a large bowl, whisk to combine.
- Combine dry & wet with wooden spoon or spatula – until JUST MIXED. Add batter to hot, well greased, very hot cast iron skillet.
- Bake at 410⁰F (210⁰C) for 20 – 25 minutes or until cornbread is cooked through and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and dry.
- Serve hot, or remove from pan to cool and serve later.
Do not allow to cool in the cast iron pan if serving later. Cast iron retains heat, so leaving it in the pan, it will continue to steam and get tough. No one wants that.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Quick Breads
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Best Southern Cornbread, Best Southern Cornbread Recipe