Add new flavour to add to your burger repertoire. Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the Smoked Gouda Burger with Tomato Compote & Pecan Mayo, because WOW!
Smoked Gouda Burgers
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups smoked gouda, grated
- 2 tablespoons strong espresso
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup pecan pieces
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- ***Smoked Gouda Burgers*** Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well, using hands or spatula. Divide meat into evenly sized meatballs then shape into patties. Place patties on a tray or sheet pan, and chill for a minimum of 20 minutes (or as long as overnight).
- Heat grill or barbecue to about 350°F. Coat patties well with non-stick spray before placing them on the grill. With this high a fat content in your burgers, you will get flare-ups, so be sure you mind your grill well while cooking. Char well before your first quarter turn for good grill marks. When done to your liking, remove from heat and rest 3 – 5 minutes for best results.
- Pecan Mayo: Roast pecans in a 350°F oven until evenly coloured. Reserve to cool. When cool combine mayo and pecans in the food processor and blend until mostly smooth. It’s good to have a few chunky bits in this mayo. (You can prep this days ahead if needed, it just gets better as it sits in the fridge, looking tempting.)
- Tomato Compote: Add the tomatoes and remaining ingredients to a small pot. Bring to a boil then simmer on low to reduce the resulting liquid by about two-thirds, until you have a jam-like consistency. (About 20 to 25 minutes.) Stir occasionally, especially as it begins to thicken to prevent scorching. Cool and reserve until needed.
If you’re stacking raw meat patties, use a layer of plastic wrap, wax paper, or parchment between each layer to prevent them from sticking.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Burger
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: North American
Keywords: Smoked Gouda Burger