A sweet, succulent accompaniment, try Sweet Potato Succotash with this dead-simple sear and glaze chop recipe using pear jelly (or substitute pear nectar) just reduce until thick and sticky, coat and serve.
- ******Succotash Ingredients******
- Two ears of corn, kernels cut (or 1- 9 once can, drained)
- 1 green pepper, cubed
- 4 green onions, cubed
- 6 – 8 broad beans, cubed
- 3 small patty pan squash
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cubed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of liquid honey
- ******Glazed Chop Ingredients******
- 4 thick cut pork chops
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons pear jelly (or 1/4 cup pear nectar)
- oil for cooking
- ******Succotash Method******
- Preheat oven to to 400⁰F (205⁰C). Line a cookie sheet or roasting tray, with parchment paper.
- Toss corn with a drizzle of olive oil (just enough to coat), salt & pepper and place, spread one layer deep on tray. Place in oven to roast until soft and golden brown, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from oven and scoop off hot corn into waiting bowl. Replete oil, seasoning & roasting procedure with sweet potato, cook about 15 minutes. Remove into waiting bowl with corn.
- Toss green pepper, green onion and squash with oil, place on same tray and roast in 400⁰F (205⁰C) oven until soft and browning on the edges, about 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from tray hot and mix with waiting roasted vegetables. Add dried cranberries.
- Season the mix lightly with cayenne pepper, just enough to add heat and warmth. Add liquid honey, toss gently to mix.
- Reheat to serve, if needed. Sweet potato succotash keeps for days. Honestly, it’s better the day after, and it freezes well too.
- ******Glazed Chop Method******
- ) While staging roasted vegetables in and out of oven, rub apple cider vinegar over chops. Allow to stand and soak for 10 – 15 minutes at room temperature. By this time most of the vinegar will have soaked into the meat, dry the remainder with a paper towel. Season meat with salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne and rub gently with fingertips to help spices adhere.
- ) Place a large skillet over medium high heat, add cooking oil. When oil is hot enough for the meat to sizzle, add chops, searing well to brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side).
- ) Remove pan from stove top, place in waiting 400⁰F (205⁰C) oven for approximately 5 – 7 minutes; depending on the size of your chop.
- ) When cooked to desired doneness, remove chops from the oven. Place pan back on the stove top on medium heat and remove chops to rest. Heat, scrapping suc from the bottom of the pan, adding a tablespoon or so of water if necessary, with a wooden spoon. Add pear jelly (or nectar) allow to melt/blend. Deduce as needed over low heat to form a sticky, thick glaze. Return chops to pan, and quickly coat with glaze until golden brown.
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American