A family favorite, the original recipe comes from a A World of Breads by Delores Casella printed in 1966. Four generations have enjoyed Classic Banana Muffins in our family. Moist and delicious, you an whip them up in 30 minutes. I’m sure they’ll be a hit with your family too!
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups mashed (very) ripe bananas
- 8 – 20 banana chips (to finish, optional)
- 1 tablespoon course sugar (to finish, optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 350⁰F (175⁰C). Prep 12 – cup muffin tin with non-stick spray, smeared with butter, or lined with paper muffin cups.
- In a bowl cream sugar and butter together. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy.
- In separate bowl combine dry ingredients; flour, salt and baking soda. Measure and mash bananas separately and reserve.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed sugar mixture – one third at a time – alternately with mashed bananas. Fold gently to mix.
- Scoop into prepared muffin tin, to approximately 3/4 full. Sprinkle with course sugar on top. Add one banana chip per muffin, insert on edge, at center. Allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes to allow banana chip to absorb moisture (or they will burn). Bake at 350⁰F (175⁰C) for 20 – 25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Cool. Consume immediately with large jar of Nutella. Cutlery is optional. Let’s not kid ourselves; finger & jar of Nutella go perfectly together.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American