The crisp salted skin of roasted potatoes with the smooth, satisfying comfort of a mashed for a good ol’ country mash! Country Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic, it’s as easy as one, two, three.
- 2 pounds medium sized potatoes – red, white or mixed
- 10 – 30 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup light cooking oil – canola, safflower, sunflower
- coarse salt & freshly ground pepper
- Roast/confit garlic cloves, add cup of cooking oil to small heavy bottomed pot, add 10 – 30 cloves of freshly peeled garlic. Bring to a low boil over high heat then immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 30 minutes. Remove and cool to room temperature until garlic is soft and translucent.
- Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Scrub potatoes well to remove any traces of dirt and loose skin and dry well. Toss whole potatoes with two tablespoons garlic oil to coat, season liberally with coarse salt. Place potatoes, one layer deep, in shallow roasting dish or cast iron pan. Roast until soft on the inside and crisp on the outside (about 40 minutes depending on size), turning at about the 20 minute mark to create a crisp skin.
- Remove potatoes from oven and mash coarse with whatever tool you have handy – masher, fork, whisk – adding 6 or 12 cloves of roasted garlic and about another tablespoon of garlic oil. Season and serve.
Store remaining garlic (and garlic oil) in fridge until needed for your next recipe. Preserved in oil, confited garlic keeps for about a month. Handy to have for vinaigrettes, sauces, steaks, soups… and country mashed potatoes!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: North American