Savory, cheesy and bacon-y thees Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins are a family favorite for breakfast, brunch, lunch and snack time. Indulge.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 green onions (or chives), chopped
- 1 + 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/4 cup shredded extra sharp cheddar, divided
- Cook bacon until just beginning to crisp, on the stove top in a frying pan. Remove and drain on paper towel to cool. Drain off most of the bacon grease, leaving 1-2 tablespoons behind then add yellow onion and sweat over medium heat until tender and starting to brown around the edges, about 7 minutes.
- While bacon and onions cook, preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Prepare a 12 cup muffin pan: lightly with non-stick spray (bacon grease or butter) or line with paper muffin liners. (Or use a silicone muffin pan like the one above and skip the liners and extra fat.)
- Lightly whisk together buttermilk, olive oil and egg in a small bowl. Combine dry ingredients – flour, cornmeal, baking powder and soda, salt, chili powder and red pepper flakes – in a larger bowl. Add wet mix to dry mix and fold a few times with a spatula or wooden spoon to start to combine.
- Lightly chop bacon, add half the bacon to your mix along with all of the onion (both the cooked yellow and raw green) and 1 cup of the cheese, then mix until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Divide cornbread batter equally among baking cups filling about the 3/4 mark. Sprinkle remaining bacon and cheese on top. Bake in 400°F (205°C) 15 – 20 minutes or until a toothpick in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove Bacon Cheddar Cornbread Muffins from the pan to cool on wire racks.
Stored in a sealed container at room temperature, they will last about 3 days. To keep longer and fresher, store that container in the refrigerator. Or freeze and thaw as desired for high powered snacking, anytime.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: Brunch
- Cuisine: American