Ever wonder how the French Get their kids to eat their vegetables? They cover them…
Slow simmered over low heat to a tender, sweet finish, these short ribs are loosely based on a Korean stew called ‘Galbi Jim’. A shot of coffee adds tannins to breakdown the fibers of the meat and make the sauce rich and dark. Cooked bone-in, like an Italian ‘osso bucco’ it gets it’s richness from the marrow of the bone.
We used the cocotte for this recipe, moving from the stove top to the oven and then back to the stove again; cooking for about 21/2 hours. But you can also throw it into the slow cooker set it on high and come back six hours later to perfect ribs. Pop them on before you head to work, set the timer and you’ll come home to dinner.
Having a slow cooker is like having a cooking fairy.
If you want that same sticky sauce, remove the juices to a saucepan, reduce and give the short ribs a quick broil, coating with sauce two or three times… or not. They’ll still be tender, juicy and perfect.
Served with rice and a quick side of stir fried Asian vegetables and fall off the bone tender short ribs and that my darling Gypsies – is dinner.
Korean Inspired Black Coffee Short Ribs Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 ½ hours (conventional) 6 hours (slow cooker)
5 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 scallion, chopped
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, crushed or whole
1 tablespoons sesame oil
½ teaspoon Merlin or Five Spice powder
2/3 cup water
Double shot of espresso (or ¼ cup strong coffee)
3 lbs English-cut short ribs (sometimes called thick-cut), rinsed in cold water
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients (spices and liquids) together.
2. In a large pot over high heat, put in the ribs and pour the braising liquid over them. Mix well, making sure the ribs are coated with sauce and immersed in liquid.
3. When it begins to boil, cover pot with a tight-fitting lid, place in a 300* oven for 2 – 2 1/2 hours, turning midway.
4. Remove ribs, skim off excess fat , reduce sauce at medium-high heat on the stove top until thick and gooey, strain if necessary. Remove from heat, place ribs back in sauce turning to coat. Place lid back on pot and reserve warm until ready to serve.
2. Layer ribs in the slow cooker, pour the braising liquid over them adding enough water to cover. Set heat to “high” and allow to cook for 6 hours.
3. Remove ribs, pour liquid remaining into a sauce pan, skim off excess fat, reduce sauce at medium-high heat on the stove top until thick and gooey,strain if necessary. Remove from heat, place ribs back in sauce turning to coat. Place lid on pot and reserve warm until ready to serve.
Coffee, it’s not just for the morning anymore.