Crispy, crunchy and sweet Coconut Shrimp with Marmalade Dipping Sauce for a little taste of the Caribbean, any time!
1 cup flat beer
1 cup self-rising flour
2 cups sweetened coconut flakes
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
20 jumbo shrimp
coconut oil for frying
1/2 cup orange marmalade
2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
2 teaspoons shredded unsweetened coconut
1 dash of salt
- Combine flour, beer, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Mix well with electric mixer, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare the shrimp by de-veining and peeling off the shell back to the tail. Leave the last segment of the shell plus the tail as a handle.
- When the batter is ready, preheat oil in a deep pot or deep fryer to about 350 degrees F. Use enough oil to cover the shrimp completely.
- Pour the remainder of the coconut into a shallow bowl. Be sure the shrimp are dry before battering. Sprinkle each shrimp lightly with paprika before dipping in batter. Dip one shrimp at a time into the batter, coating generously.
- Drop the battered shrimp into the coconut and roll it around till well covered. Fry four shrimp at a time for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp become golden brown. Flip the shrimp over halfway through. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Marmalade Sauce on the side.
- Marmalade Dipping Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Deep Fry
- Cuisine: Caribbean
Keywords: Coconut Shrimp, Shrimp with Coconut